March 7, 2011

hook up

‘Hook up’. Many people don’t seem to know this phrase really well. Apart from carrying the meaning of having a literal one time off steamy sex, this phrase actually carries something that is profoundly deep in meaning. Something that boldly defines the level of bond between any 2 individuals, especially in this modernized world where putting one’s life in danger for a friend is no longer a pragmatic approach. But able to ‘hook your friend up’ is.

So what the fuck is actually a ‘hook up’? Simple – to lookout for a job opportunity. I don’t know if any of you uses the phrase ‘hook up’ for this but, this is what I use for my friends. I ‘hook them up’. It works like this, I help to keep an eye for something my friend is looking for, and go the extra mile effort of WANTING to help him/her get it. Or if it is just some position which I think swells, I’d hook him/her up too. I don’t need to lose a body part or sacrifice anything, just forward a resume to the hiring asshole. And this is even easier with the advent of wireless communication devices. It’s almost effortless. Just a click of a button.

Why the need for a hook up? one might ask… It’s because of how things work (or rather, doesn’t work) in this world. Because by the time you see something suitable in the ad or job search engine, thousands of contenders would have gotten word of that position and everyone gets that proportionately less chance of winning it. A ‘hook up’ saves you the time of having to bet on your luck to millimeter through the stack of applications other assholes vie for. You go beeline to the hiring manager, through a ‘hook up’. That’s how awesome it is. There are in fact, many big corporations that are exploiting this ‘hook up’ idea. That’s because they can save a fuck lot from having to pay for advertisements. They’d just ask the existing employees to ‘hook their buddies up’ and achieve the same objective!

Over the years, I’ve attempted and successfully hooked many people up. And I’ve been hooked up by others in all my 3 jobs too. A cousin to his company (my first job), a friend to Company X (he was an employee there) and recently, someone I hardly even knew hooked me up to work in Company Y. It has become a way of life for me, and also I believe, for many.

But sadly, there are still some fucked up cynical people who still live under a rock that they foolishly believe everything revolves around. I’ve came across a couple of guys whom back then I thought were my friends, who told me to ‘check out the ads in the newspaper’ when I asked if they could hook me up for anything. Like, I don’t know how to read meh you fucking cibai?? They just don’t know what a fucking ‘hook up’ means. Sad sad motherfucking bunch of retards, these people.

So, be learned. Know what a ‘hook up’ is. Don’t fucking ask your ‘friend’ to ‘check out the ads’ when a hook up is requested. It’s insulting. Just do it or don’t.

michaelooi  | enlightenments  |

7 Comments to “hook up”

1. ShaolinTiger says:

Yah, I do it often too. Not only for jobs but you can hook people up with all kinds of stuff (cars, guides, accommodation, property agents etc the list is endless). Hook ups are good to get and good to give :D

2. MT says:

Those people are what you call “smartasses”… Thing is, they don’t realize, NO ONE likes smartasses…

Leaving that aside, just know that if you ever need anything, we here are willing to hook you up as long as we are able to! :)

3. dungu says:

I suppose it is alright to call for the govt to have open tenders but for us individuals to go the direct negotiation path. It is also wrong for preferential treatments to be given as transparency and meritocracy must be practiced. I suppose individuals are also exempted. These comes to mind as I read this article.

As for the people who asked MO to check out the papers, it may mean that they have no avenue to have him hooked up. Rather than just flatly saying they could not help him, they were offering him an alternative. Of course if MO thinks he is too smart to accept such advice and choose to get all edgy, it is his right after all.

dungu – Preferential treatment? Wtf. LOL. You didn’t get it do you? I got your shallow sarcasm, but it’s all over the place. Pfft.

5. dungu says:

Yes MO, I didn’t get you. Why don’t you just grow up, quit whining, be a man and apply for jobs like everyone else? If you fail to hook up, it is solely your fault because probably you’re such an asshole that nobody wants to be associated with, or to lend a helping hand. Blaming it on your friends for failing to hook you up is just too convenient to cover your own shortcomings.

So you’re now writing me off as an immature asshole, just because you’re not in the frequency of what I wrote… Wow.

I don’t even feel like riposting because it would be like punching a retard.

Here’s the thing, if you’re so matured, why don’t you just deal with it and fuck off? (and you keep coming back, must be your overwhelming ‘intelligence’ thing…)

7. sweewon says:

I’ve met assholes like that. When I asked the similar question as you did, the fella went like, “Oh look up jobstreet! I’m sure they advertise the opening and quite frankly, the company pays me real good money! Go check it out!”. Wtf right.