August 23, 2010

forms

One thing that really bothers me a lot when I go for an interview at a prospective employer’s is application forms.

I noticed that most of the forms, usually do not provide enough space to fill in anything at all. It was as if the person who designed the form, expected the interviewee to either have,

a) Microscopic hello kitty school girl handwriting
b) A means of writing everything short like short URL.

I have encountered a form which requires me to detail my past job experiences in a space just big enough to fill in my name. And then the space to fill my name, is only big enough to fill in just one word. So, if my name were to be ‘Haji Pandak Jamalullail bin Landak Murtabak’, you can forget about filling in the form. It will be impossible.

I’m wondering, why the hell can’t they just use our CV/resume for filing/review purposes? Why impose all the the extra work to just get the same information already listed in the CV/resume? Or if they choose to be stupid and irrelevant, WHY CAN’T THEY AT LEAST MAKE THE SPACES BIGGER!?

michaelooi  | rantings  |

13 Comments to “forms”

1. ShaolinTiger says:

Yah the address field is never big enough and Malaysian addresses are DAMN LONG.

2. Chrys says:

I can never understand why the HR never send interviewees a soft copy of the application form when they have confirmed an interview them them. Saves a lot of everybody’s time to do so.

3. Fiona K says:

not only interview forms, most of the gov forms are like that too.

4. Primrose says:

Tell me about it. What I usually do? I have extra resumes with me, right? I will write in that small space “refer Experiences, page 2 of resume”. Or “refer page 1 of resume for photograph”. Haha!

5. JC says:

The HR training is very backward or they need these papers to make them look busy and hardworking.

ST – Yeah man, especially the street names.

Chrys – Some of them do. A company sent me a softcopy form, which was somewhat convenient. But the print layout wasn’t properly set (it didn’t print out right). I had to set it proper to get it print right (and they had the cheek to ask me if I know how to use MS Excel…)

Fiona K – Anything that has to do with the government, is never right.

Primrose – That’s what I did! (*refer to the resume)

JC – Training? What training? They never had training, that’s what I suspect.

7. saintis says:

I almost thought you missed me by using that strange name ..!!

8. ah beng says:

Personal Info:
    Name: M
    Sex: Yes
    Detailed Job Experience: Excellent.
    Address: Penang.
    Education background: Primary,2ndary, College, Uni.

9. Arkane says:

I know the purpose for the forms. Their function is to give you something to do while waiting for the interviewer. 99% of the interviews I went to, the interviewer never appears in time. I’m always attended by a HR lackey who ALWAYS gives me a form to fill (even though what I can write in it is just a summary of my CV).

saintis – Hhahah I kelentong pun kena you ka bro?

ah beng – I sure hope you’d fill in like that when you apply for a job man.

Arkane – That’s what I also suspect. To kill time. And you’re right about their punctuality. 100% of the interviews I went to, all of them were at least 15 mins late. If it’s more than 30 mins, I’ll just walk out. (I already walked out once)

11. ah beng says:

what choice do I have? its true all forms are like that, whomever these dumb-asses are, definitely have no common sense at all….

12. t0ts says:

well, it just shows a portion of how the company culture is probably like.

13. jen says:

i’m too lazy to fill up the form. so i just write there “pls refer to the attached CV”.