August 16, 2010

serves me right

My quest to look for a job has taken a dramatic turn towards the worst when I walked out of an interview today. Not technically an ‘interview’ yet but, it’s definitely a walk out.

Reason? I was pissed.

But first, a little disclaimer – I know many of you think that an interview is all about being a whore, and how important it is to be able to impress the shit just about anyone who deigns to see my prostitute ass. But that’s not really what I perceive the whole thing as. To me, an interview is like a blind date. We both lay what we have on the table, try to have a conversation and weigh everything in to make a decision whether to accept that partner. If everything’s ok, then we have a deal. Simple.

My deal went sour even before I met the prospective ‘blind date’ today. I should have seen it coming but I chose to ignore the signs. My bad and serves me right.

First sign: The fucking HR who called me couldn’t speak English. It was all in BeeEm (Malay language). What kind of a shit-tard HR officer couldn’t speak English? I should have rejected the interview right there, but I didn’t. Serves me right.

Second sign: When I asked for an official appointment email and interview details from the guy (in Malay), he refused to do it. I don’t know why. Either he must be too retarded to send an email, or he’s just plain lazy. I should have rejected the interview, but I didn’t. Serves me right.

Third sign: When I asked for a contact number of the person whom I’m suppose to meet, he refused to divulge any detail, but directed me to ‘just ask for Jamal’. I should have rejected the interview, but I didn’t. Serves me right.

Then came today, the interview day, when I reached the company, the God of Technology and Cognitive Thinking gave me more hints. But I chose to ignore them all (serves me right),
– Guard asked me to fill in a form in the sun, the exact details I have listed comprehensively in my CV/resume, only to learn later that I could have done it in the comfort of an air conditioned lobby. (the form was apparently for the interviewer, which means I could have done the form in the lobby. The ‘under the sun’ part was for the guards’ amusement.)
– The Jamal that I was asked to ask, did not come to work today. The HR officer who met me didn’t know about the appointment. Confusion ensued.
– I was asked to state the interviewer’s name after a bout of frantic calling by the HR shapeshifter, which I did not have (see Second and Third signs above)
– The job requires working in shift (stated in the stupid form I filled under the sun), which was not listed in the original JD published in the newspaper (I wouldn’t have applied if I have known that).
– There were 5s posters everywhere in the lobby, but ironically at the same time, there was also a truck parking at the lobby entrance, with pallets of boxes all over the parking lot. Bullshit company.
– From the guards to the HR officer, to the workers who roamed around the lobby, none of them were any younger than 40 years old.

The tardiness of the non-existent interviewer was the straw that broke my back. I was fucking made to wait in the lobby for 40 minutes, and suddenly, I awoke and said “What the fuck am I doing here?” and walked out to have an awesome meal of banana leaf rice.

michaelooi  | experiences  |

19 Comments to “serves me right”

1. ShaolinTiger says:

Good decision after a whole lot of bad decisions haha.

Yeah man, better late than never. I sometimes do things I cannot comprehend myself. *smackshead*

3. vincent says:

When I was job searching last time, everybody told me to “be humble”, “suck it up” even if you don’t like it, etc etc.

I’ve learnt that that’s bullshit.

It is, like you said, a blind date. Both parties need to know if they are compatible. And I’ll say it here, I went for interviews with Seagate, Freescale and Western Digital – all of which I now regret not screaming back at the interviewers for being fucking retards/assholes.

4. passerby says:

That sounds like a famous Japanese MNC.

5. moo_t says:

THAT sounds like a GLC.

6. iwancmn says:

I probably left after receiving the form (working in shift is the main reason) although I might have thought I was already there so just “do the interview and forget about the job”

vincent – You don’t really have to scream at them. Just walk off. (careful not to burn bridges)

passerby – It IS a famous Japanese MNC. So you’re one of the interviewers?

moo_t – No lar. It’s a Japanese MNC like I said above.

iwancmn – I’m not blaming the company, but the management. I’ve never seen such a screwed up management. That’s what happens when you hire the wrong people.

8. cindy says:

i feel bad for u, man…… but u did the right thing……

9. take it easy mike… but you did the right thing! Your case is really an eye opener!

10. Avery says:

Are you sure that that it was not an uncoordinated old folks home? hahaha

11. Arkane says:

I can’t believe a Jap MNC hires retards who can’t speak engrish. How the fuck do they communicate with the Jap directors then ?

12. MaN|acZ says:

I salute you. you did the right thing!

13. david says:

name and shame time !
    no need to be shy about it.

14. James says:

Let us know what is the name of the company so that we won’t apply!!

Avery – Last I checked, there were no wheelchairs and foul old people smell…

Arkane – Maybe he’s fluent in Japanese?

David/James – You know I can’t do that. Maybe this is just one screwed up HR’s problem, not the company’s. However, if you happen to receive a call from a HR who can’t speak English, refuses to divulge details and is from a Japanese MNC, don’t go.

;-)

16. passerby says:

I was working there for a few years after graduation. Hehe…the 5S signs kinda gave it away. Yeah, the HR there IS majorly screwed up. The people doing the technical work is still OK.

17. Max says:

You did the right thing walking out before it gets any worse LOL. Hey, but how the banana leaf rice tasted? =)

18. KC says:

Don’t you think it’s time to strike out on your own? Do you really want to put up with these dipshits and a stale 9 to 5 routine that saps the life outta you? Time for a mind shift man! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!
    Cheers.

passerby – Small world, eh? Technical people are usually fine, it’s the management that makes them look bad.

Max – The banana leaf rice was fantastic. I had it at my favorite joint.

KC – Well, it crossed my mind before. Haven’t got the guts/determination yet. But it will surely be announced in this blog when that happens.