April 19, 2010

my new rig

Remember I said something about not having bought a computer since 1998? Well, I finally decided to rig myself one last week. Why? It’s because I’m about to leave Company X soon, and I won’t have a notebook no more.

I decided to share my config out here, just in case any of you is interested to rig one yourself and have no idea where to start.

Here are the stuff that I bought (note: this config is balanced between budget and performance. Took my amateur ass weeks to come up with this list. If you have the dough and you want powerful shit, don’t bother to continue.):

Processor – AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE [RM 620]
Intel processors are fucking expensive. Being somewhat in a tight budget, AMD is the one to go for me. AMD is definitely not as good as Intel, but it does not suck either. So I got myself a 965 (which is a quad core processor, comes with a stock heatsink/fan).

Heatsink/fan – Cooler Master Hyper TX3 [RM 60]
The stock heatsink/fan that comes with the AMD processor is very loud. I couldn’t stand the noise (it was like powering on a server), so I replaced the stock heatsink/fan with Cooler Master Hyper TX3 aftermarket heatsink/fan. This thing is next to silent and keeps the processor much cooler (5 – 6 degrees with load). Very happy with the purchase and would recommended it to anyone.

Motherboard – Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 [RM 345]
Another thing good about getting an AMD processor is that I don’t have to spend too much on the MB as well. This board is a bargain board. It hasn’t got that Crossfire support since it only allows 1 video card, but it should be good enough as I do not plan to have multiple video cards (video cards are fucking expensive). And oh, this baby has the latest NEC USB 3.0 chip too, which is heaps faster than USB 2.0. This will come in handy in the future.

Memory – Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB 1600MHz XMS3 DDR3 [RM 580]
It is a box set of 2 pcs 1600MHz 2GB memory module. A bit expensive but what the heck, it’s 1600MHz and has a lifetime warranty (also, the memory price skyrocketed recently). If I get any lower than this, I’ll be under utilizing what the board can do.

Video card – SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON HD 5770 128bit 1GB DDR5 [RM 570]
A friend says, “if your video card is cheaper than your motherboard, then something must be very wrong with your config”. I couldn’t agree more. This thing is like the passport for me to play some nice games. I initially wanted to get a 5850, but that thing is double the amount of money, and is best utilized on multi screens or big ass more-than-HD 30″ monitors. Since I intended to just get a 23″ HD monitor, I eighty six-ed the idea and got myself a 5770 instead. No regret.

Casing – Cooler Master Centurion 5 II RC 502-KWN1 [RM 205]
It’s a cool looking black colored medium ATX tower, but big enough for my rig. Comes with 4 ODD, 4 HDD bays and 2 system fans.

Power supply – Cooler Master GX 550W PSU [RM 270]
It’s a 550 watt and 85% efficiency PSU. Comes with a 5 year warranty and has a life expectancy up to 100,000 hours. Very solid piece of hardware.

Storage – Western Digital 16M 500GB – WD5000AAKS (blue) – 2 units [RM 350]
For HDD, it’s Western Digital or never. Why? That’s because they’re good shit. How do I know that? I’m presently a Hard Disk drive commodity quality engineer in Company X… so I know a little bit of stuff that most of you don’t. Also, I never fancy those high performance HDDs because they’re just too expensive, and I don’t feel it’s worth the money. If you have extra bucks to spend, you can go for Western D’s ‘black’ line of performance products.

ODD – LG 24X SATA Super Multi DVD-RW Drive [RM 88]
Just a normal DVD burner. Not going to use it a lot so I got myself a common one.

Display – ACER H233H 23″ HD monitor [RM 635]
Full HD monitor at 1920 x 1080 resolution. Comes with LED backlight and glossed screen (polarized, makes the colors sharper). Compared to my notebook screen, this thing makes me feel like I have just regained my eyesight after being blind for all my life.

Speaker system – Altec Lansing VS4121 [RM 240]
It’s just a 2.1 speaker system. I never use it. This is for my daughter who sometimes would come over to play some of the online Disney flash games. Got to have some audio to keep the little scoundrel happy.

Headphone – Sony MDR-Q68LW/B [RM 109]
High quality clip-on headphone to prevent ear fatigue because I use this everyday, sometimes even long hours (movie marathon). Been using Sony headphones for the past 10 years. They’re expensive but it’s worth the money.

Keyboard- Logitech New Touch 200 USB keyboard [RM 28]
The slimmest and most basic keyboard available to me.

Pointing device – Logitech USB optical mouse[RM 27]
The sales attendant recommended me a performance mouse called Razor something something. That thing costs over 100 bucks and basically has LEDs all over it like an Ah Beng mouse. I declined, of course, because it is stupid and opted for this basic Logitech mouse instead. Only 27 bucks and it gets the job done.

Total spent: RM 4127.

Installation
Pretty easy. Just follow the manual. I did a mistake of not following the manual because I thought I was smart enough and got 1 of the MB mounting screws fucked. So, just fucking follow the manual. The most challenging part for the installation will have to be the heatsink/fan mounting (for either the stock or aftermarket). Doing it requires some skills. The hooking mechanism for AMD processor is kinda stupid. Had to practice hooking a few times before applying thermal paste and did it for good. If you’re not confident with your ability, just get some of the Ah Bengs in some computer shop to do it for you, for a fee of course.

Performance
Awesome. There’s not a game that I can’t play. No problem in the graphics department at all. The only complain that I have is probably the onboard Realtek LAN driver. The driver fucked my connection twice already. Had to uninstall the driver to use generic Win 7 driver. Other than that, no complain.

Happy rigging.

michaelooi  | personal  |

17 Comments to “my new rig”

1. 2Damage says:

What a awesome gaming machine!

2. auyongtc says:

can measure how much power consumption of your PSU at normal usage load?

2Damage – It was alright. I loaded Neverwinter Nights 2 (famous for its resource sucking) with everything cranked to the max, I manage to play it without a single glitch. Very nice.

auyongtc – Not sure, but before I rig this thing, I used this calculator to determine my estimated power consumption and managed to get not more than 350 watt (at est. 90% load). Factored in another 15% of power, I still get less than 450 watt. So the 550 watt PSU should be more than enough for my rig.

4. Tan Yee Hou says:

ahaaha you’re an engineer and you have to follow the manual? *laughs* teehee

Anyway, could you do a post doing a write up about WD vs. other brands?

As far as I know Seagate seems to be on par with WD, but I’m still a “WD all the way” person.

Why can’t an engineer use a manual? Are you implying that an engineer should know everything related to technology in this world? So, does that also mean all doctors should know everything there is about the human body? Wow. That means Dr.Liew can do a sex transplant for you with his torchlight at just the cost of 25 bucks…

(I can’t share the WD/Seagate info with you because I have signed a non-disclosure document. If I disclose, I’ll have to go on the lam like Raja Petra)

6. Tan Yee Hou says:

ahha oi kidding only.

hmm okok thanks michael! chup is that 5400rpm or 7200rpm? does it make a big diff from what you know?

reviews on net overhype them, could be the placebo effect tho.

7. ShaolinTiger says:

Got some Artic Silver to mount the HSF?

Good choice of devices, the only one I’d change is the monitor, not a fan of Acer monitors..prefer Samsung.

Win7 is sweet~!

Just built myself a new rig at the office a couple of weeks back, budget system though came up to RM1600 including 4GB RAM & 22″ Samsung FullHD monitor and I already have speakers.

8. melvin says:

i recommend sennheiser for movies and music :D

Yee Hou – I believe for 3.5″ drives, the standard is 7200rpm ler. If you’re still using 5400rpm, then you know it’s time for you to get out from that cave, and wear something nice instead of animal hides… heheh

ST – No ler, stock paste only. Exotic thermal pastes like AS-5 and Tunic are for overclockers ler… where 2 – 3 degrees cooler means a world to them.
    Yeah will check out some Samsung monitors sometime… haven’t got the time to really scour for a good one. Thanks.

melvin – Eh, friend… I’m no professional ler. The movies and music I download also, are all compressed version ler. That’s a travesty for audio equipments like that…

10. melvin says:

haha, i know, but its good to inform people about whats the best in the price range too right?

aand..i’ve read some other posts of your blog, i highly agree with the intelligence thing,i can exactly relate it to my everyday life too even in mamak stalls.

anyways all the best to you sir and ; keep up the good posts in the blog !

11. EinsamSoldat says:

7200rpm or 5400rpm ? Go for SSD HDD if you have the moolah LOL But as a home user SSD IMHO is for rich cock suckers.

SSD you said? [guffaws]
    If only you guys know about SSDs… LOL.

13. david says:

i prefer wd black myself.
    overall, a good rig.
    but damn, 4k is really a bit painful on the wallet.

14. Kate's Dad says:

Dude,

How are u able to play so much games as a family man? My daughter is one year old and i don’t even get to play 2 hours straight without my wife screaming =(

Worse still, i bought a PS3 recently and i have not even clocked 2 hours on it.

15. jusoh says:

what tight budget laaa if you can push up to RM4127!!!

16. j3ff says:

the samsung 1tb is the best bang for buck hdd atm.
    low power consumption, reasonable performance.
    for me, gaming ability & power consumption are the top requirements when getting a new pc

17. iamyuanwu says:

What’s with SSD? My friend’s Intel SSD seems to work like a charm.