January 18, 2010

Genting Highlands

All my life, I’ve never been to Genting Highlands for more than 10 times. I have to admit, I am never fond of that place for many reasons. I’ve only been to the casino to gamble 2 – 3 times, and have never really roamed the other areas, especially the theme parks, until last Friday – when I decided to bring my 3.5 year old daughter (with my wife) to the theme park(s) there.

So, did she have a blast? Somewhat. But not for my wife and I. We (I) think the whole place sucks donkey cock. First of all, I find that everything there is too expensive (including the rides). Not that it’s new or anything so, I’m ok with that. Secondly, as one of the major national tourist attractions, I think the place is not up to the supposed standard. Many of the areas are dimly lit and poorly maintained. Garbage littered everywhere, walls overgrown thick with moss and fungus (also, check out the water in the flume ride, it’s brown in color ughhh). Makes me feel like I’m visiting Pudu bus station. And then the toilets. Man, are they a true reflection of our Malaysian public toilets. Cracked tiles, cracked mirrors, overpowering stench of ammonia, flotilla of unidentified brown objects in the bowl, what more can I describe. It’s a turn off.

But what’s most disappointing of all, is the seemingly long face of its employees manning the rides in the theme parks. I mean, I do not really expect them to be enthusiastic with their menial job or anything, but I believe ‘being friendly’ pretty much comes as part of the job. Just force a fake smile, I don’t care. Just don’t fucking make it look like we owe them money or something. But alas, none of them smiles. It is as if, Genting has a tacit no-smile policy in effect. If any of them is caught smiling, the perpetrator will be forced to clean the filthy toilets (that’s why they’re not smiling, and the toilets are so damn fucking dirty).

Well, except for one weird Indian guy who manned that 4D motion something something ride. He was the only guy who smiled at us. He would have won the ‘employee of the month’ (if not year) award, if not for his eccentric behavior – when being asked a question, the guy would beam a megawatt smile and give an incoherent one worded reply, and enjoy the shit out of himself seeing others getting frustrated. I fell victim to his shenanigan and so did a few foreigners. The guy’s obviously not right in the head, that’s probably why he smiled at us. Or maybe he just wanted the sense of control he has over others, which he probably doesn’t get a lot from the much more intelligent society… I don’t know.

All in all, Genting’s definitely a sad place to be. Overpriced, over-crowded, bad services, and poorly maintained facilities. It’s nothing more than a souped up gambling den for people with money to spare. If you ask me, I’d say it is a waste of time and money to go there for a holiday. If you insist, allow me to suggest Pudu bus station. Or Penang’s KOMTAR. You’d get the same experience, at a much cheaper price.

michaelooi  | places  |

12 Comments to “Genting Highlands”

1. Quinn says:

Poor you and Emily but gotta be glad Regine at least ‘somewhat’ had fun! Totally agree with the not smiling part. Perhaps they earn a bloody meagre income from Genting Highlands! But still, doesn’t give them the right to be grumpy to visitors. Stuck-up place!

2. ShaolinTiger says:

You forgot to mention one other thing, all the food up there SUCKS and is crazy expensive.

Quinn – Well, my Regine actually enjoyed soaking in the hotel bathtub than being at Genting… I confirmed that with her myself. “Regine, do you like Genting?” [shakes head]. “Do you like the hotel bathtub?” [nods excitedly].

ST – Yeah, I still can’t believe that I fucking paid 15 bucks for a plate of cold chicken rice…

4. EinsamSoldat says:

Well to ensure gamblers dun win too much, they have some “extra” service phone scribbled all in men’s toilet especially in First World Hotel.

5. vincent says:

The only reason the theme park exists is so that parents can dump their kids there while they gamble. Other than that, the theme park serves no purpose, which explains why they don’t really give a hoot about maintaining the place.

6. Primrose says:

Agree with all of the above, Vincent esp. My grandparents used to just dump us (sisters) at the theme park while they gambled. Now I hate the casino. Can’t breathe. Hope you had a better time away from Genting though…

7. Arkane says:

I second the Komtar experience. It comes with a complimentary mugging, if you are in the mood for some action.

einsamsoldat – First World, more like Fourth World. The rooms are so small, that I can’t even jack off without risking injury on both my dick and hand…

vincent – That figures. Maybe also as an alternative to bilk back the hard won money.

Primrose – Someone told me this funny shit before – if you stoop down and look back through the portal between your legs, you’d see some green little kids (toyols) under the casino table. They are Uncle Lim’s secret weapons… and if you bribe them with candies, they’d make you win. That’s why you sometimes see candies lying under the tables. Never tried that.

Arkane – And not to forget, the sticky stench of a thousand roaches… the place is an Indon and Bangla haven…

9. CS says:

yes i agree it, i don’t like the place….

Good to see you around, CS.

11. mott says:

I’ve actually visited their offices before. It is a seriously dismal place. It’s underground. There are NO windows.. moral is always on a all-time low. I remembered thinking..I could never work there…it’s seriously depressing!

12. chichicha says:

oh god, this fucking place ain’t alone now, there will be another one going to be born at Iskandar, Johor.
    Mahai yaah….