May 18, 2009

the sushi king greet

I noticed a lot of restaurants recently adopted what I would call ‘the sushi king greet’ to improve their customer experience. You know, where the restaurant employees would holler out loud whenever you enter/leave their premise? “SUMAAMMAHSSSEHHHH!” (it’s in Japanese, but I have no idea what it means. Could be cussing at your mother, who knows).

It used to be only Sushi King that does this, but now, I experience it in roughly 5 out of 10 restaurants I visit. I can’t help but wonder, what makes them think that hollering a greet would make my dining experience any better (it does not, trust me)? Maybe it is just me but, each time I get hollered at like that, I get reminded of my mom.

“COME AND EAT YOUR DINNER!!! I’M NOT GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN!!!” [waving fist in the air]

I was at McDonald’s the other day… and noticed that the premise adopted ‘the sushi king greet’ policy. I guess the crew was still getting used to the idea, and as a result of that, they would just holler indiscriminately at anyone who enters the premise. I was eating inside there for about 15 minutes, and I had seen them holler at
– the janitor who works there going through the door,
– the guy who was on his way (from outside) to use the lavatory,
– a couple of Bangla laborers, who got freaked out and left immediately without ordering (and the crew hollered another “THANK YOU COME AGAIN!!!”).

I bet if there were to be a dog entering the restaurant, they’d holler at it too. No shit. So you can imagine the ambiance of the place when there were patrons pouring in for lunch, you’d get a bunch of crazy sohais yelling non-stop sending their spit projectiles all over our fries and burgers. It was just a brainless procedure that they follow without any value at all.

I mean, there are many ways that a restaurant can do to enhance my dining experience, but this is definitely not it. Give me boobies anytime, I’ll come back.

michaelooi  | thoughts  |

21 Comments to “the sushi king greet”

1. Tan Yee Wei says:

That sort of nonsense happens in China. Almost every eating establishment that’s a shade higher class than ‘dump’ practises that stupid “welcome” and “thank you for coming”.

Oh and even some hair dressers.

“It was just a brainless procedure that they follow without any value at all.”
    Precisely.

Looks like stupidity is not contained within China. Sucks.

2. aisyahkama says:

actually, it’s *sumimasen* ( means, to greet or something like – excuse me )

3. ShaolinTiger says:

Yah it’s retarded, annoying and awkward. They should stop.

yee wei – You’re naive to think that stupidity is only confined to China…

aisyahkama – So, when I walk into Sushi King, they’re actually saying “Excuse Me” like they’ve all just unintentionally farted in unison? Wow.

ST – What’s most retarded about the practice is that some of them actually pull a long face while making the greet…

5. Tan Yee Hou says:

@aisyahkama – ahahahha sumimasen = sorry wtf.

ya i won’t want to work in such a stupid place. i’ll feel silly. not to mention their uniforms are crap.

6. iamyuanwu says:

Yeah, it’s damn stupid. I’m there to eat and have a good time… then these guys yelling their greeting like trying to put me on a pedestal (the way your classmates shout out your name when the teacher needs a volunteer). X^D

Could’ve just done a simple greet… in normal speaking tone.

China does it, because China is a frigging noisy place. It’s part of their culture to be loud and conspicuous. And people actually like it that way.

7. Kay says:

The only way to make Michael come back for more is this:

Cheers, Mike.

8. […] Jiyan wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptI noticed a lot of restaurants recently adopted what I would call ‘the sushi king greet’ to improve their customer experience. You know, where the restaurant. […]

9. Ann says:

I think they probably meant to say “Irashaimase” which means welcome but mispronounced. I get irritated cuz it sounds like they are greeting “sumimasen” and I’m wondering what are they saying sorry for. Duh..

10. jusoh says:

they should apply this to our public library as well.
    ever seen a stupid+funny japanese show “Silent library”?

11. wing says:

totally agree, i reckon any restaurants that adopt Hooters or Bone Daddy’s restaurant chain in Texas will definitely enhance one’s dining experience. :D Food and women comes hand in hand.

12. jessica k. says:

It’s actually “Irasshaimase” which means welcome. In Japan’s culture, they politely bow and greet. However, here in Malaysia, they just totally do it wrong, especially the pronunciation!

13. tehpau says:

I first experience it in Taiwan. “Huan Ying Guang Ling”…. very loud.

14. EinsamSoldat says:

Ignorance and blind faith such practice it, it will enhance my experience if they gives random “on the house” treats :D

yee hou – Work in that place? Why would you even think of that lah?

iamyuanwu – When they overdo it, the experience can go negative. Why can’t they figure that out already?

Kay – I have no idea what’s that character all about.

Ann / jessica k. – What’s the point saying that to some asshole like me who doesn’t understand Japanese? It’s like saying ‘tiu nia ma chao hai’ to a Japanese – it’s totally pointless.

jusoh – The Japanese shows that I watch usually have nothing to do with library nor being stupid… they’re usually about feeling good and erotic. muahahah

wing – Never been to Hooters, but I’ve been to a Hooters clone before. Not bad. I enjoyed the view more than the food… and I didn’t mind paying more either.

tehpau – I’ve been to a few restaurants in Taiwan before… nothing of that sort. I only remember a rather pleasant and casual conversation with a young waitress who was a university student working part time there… (yeah, she’s hot).

16. MT says:

Dude, I’d rather have overly cheery servers than some dumbfuck foreigners who can’t speak English or Malay. Case in point; Old Town Kopitiam. I don’t know what’s with their policy of hiring Cambodians. Those fuckers can’t speak a word of proper English or Malay and when they do, they sound like Down Syndrome people speaking.

I went there recently and ordered curry mee; told the dumbfuck I wanted koay teow/ hor fun ONLY and NO yellow noodles. He brought me curry mee with yellow noodles. I asked him why and he said “I thought you don’t want hor fun!” What the fuck indeed…. :|

MT – Your experience kinda reminded me of my experience I blogged about in this entry – Proof that common sense is not common – 3

18. rzmie says:

I think the past greeting was much more polite. When we arrived at the counter, they greet us with normal voice.

Sushi King also do it wrong. When I eat at a sushi outlet at Japan, they greet me in a normal voice. No such thing as shouting. And they use RFID too. So, no need to count how many plates of sushi on the tables.

19. sweewon says:

Oh Wow, Malaysia has that too now?!

Here in Korea, in every shop (food, clothes etc) they greet you with a highly-spirited “Welcome” (or “Bye”) if not along with a bow. Very professional. Even at the entrance of their Tesco also got staff bowing you in (and out). Very polite laa but I think they’re just trying to create more working opportunities *shrugs*

20. Rosse says:

This is not only happening in restaurants even in a shopping centre when go in one shop that don’t have many shoppers you will be greeted “welcome” in a loud chorus voice by a numbers of promoters/saleslady and same thing goes when you leave the premise.Its annoying.

21. Christina says:

It’s them trying to be as “authentic” as possible that makes the whole experience funny as hell – especially in Jap restaurants. They never fail to crack my Japanese friends up. Haha. In the end, what we think is authentic can be really hard to match up with the real deal.