December 12, 2008

2008 roll up

As most of you have known, it has been a customary of me to write a summary of my year as the final post every year. In case you’re wondering if this is coming too soon – yes, I decided to bring this forward to take a short hiatus from blogging till January.

Alright, so how has it been for me (2008)? It was alright I guess. At least nothing bad happened. As I have mentioned in my previous roll up, I wanted to have my job stabilize over, you know, settling down and stuff. And that’s pretty much what has been going on for me. I have not been very productive (though by the common standard, it was still above average) and have not done jack shit. I was just going with the flow. Get the job done and go home. For the first time ever, my only motivation was for that paycheck at the end of the month.

Like 2007, I haven’t had much life outside my family and work. I had very little outings (got drunk only twice), and once a while, only went drinking at a friend’s house on weekends, and that’s about it. At times, I did feel like a zombie programmed to sleep and work, eat and crap, toggle between a husband/dad and engineer mode, and have just the sufficient cognitive ability to not make an ass out of myself. It was as if I am trapped in this stage of life like a nasty fold on a vast piece of carpet… you know, those banal moments in life that are meant to be wasted and not worth remembering? I think I’m going through that right now.

And then there’s the economy downturn which everyone has been getting anal about. Despite it being a blight to everyone, I am fortunate to say that it has little effect on me to date. In fact, it kinda translated to slightly better livelihood for people like me. How? You see, I get my paycheck in a constant manner. If the economic slump has been causing everything to be less expensive, then the advantage is definitely on people like me, you get what I mean? The only worry for me is to lose my fucking job. And I know that’s not likely going to happen anytime soon… (even if that were to happen, I’d take that as a cue for me to move on to a new organization and life… which I have been reluctant on doing all these while. So, it’s still ok for me). So, both my social and work life can be best described as unchanged, mundane, boring and everything else in between.

Anyway, there were still some joyous episodes left for me to salvage amidst the mundanity:
I finally cleared the installment for Lorraine. That spells ‘financial freedom’. But then, it was a short lived liberation, for I used the money to buy a new car to replace my mom’s rickety junk (I guess it was more like HER joyous moment more than mine…). And then of course, the joy of parenting. Seeing my Regine growing into a talkative and an increasingly evil little girl is – sadistically – the most exhilarating experience for Emily and I. Our baby, despite being quite a nuisance, has been making our life nothing short of being ‘livelier’. For every shitty day that we have in office, she would make it up by just being around. She’s like, the absorber for our potholes in life. She makes our problems look trivial with her shenanigans, and therefore, makes everything wretched more bearable. It is a blessing to have her around.

2009, I reckon, will be a bad time to have plans and aspirations. Company X, like many multinational corporations, will definitely be in limbo when the world economic slump goes into full force. It will be more of a question whether I’m able to retain my fucking job, or is there going to be a change of things. It is very hard to be certain. There have been whispers and rumors, that Company X is soon going to be bought over by some Taiwanese firm, and we’re all going to be turned into their sex slaves. So, 2009 for me, will be more about how to sustain the life, to be prudent in all expenditures and hopefully, get over the drought soon. You know, aim low and hit higher.

And that’s about it. Like I said, this will be my last post for 2008, and I will be taking a break from blogging/work for the rest of December. I am not going for a vacation so, I will still be hanging around; probably will use up the time to clear my backlog of movies and TV shows that has been hogging my hard drive…

Merry Christmas people, and have a happy bad economy New Year.

michaelooi  | flashbacks  |

18 Comments to “2008 roll up”

1. moo_t says:

Done you car loan mean nothing to financial freedom, because your income still depend on a job. People with true financial freedom don’t worry about losing job.
    It is a sad truth that a Ramly burger hawker actually achieve real financial freedom compare to us, as long as he didn’t slump into excessive bank loans.

2. feizal says:

I just got transferred to Penang from KL a week ago…..so…..the chances of my Sheila bumping into your Lorraine has gone up! hahahaha beware!

Merry Christmas and a happy bad economy New Year to you too.

moo_t – But of course. It’s like yelling ‘FATT TATT!’ in delight when your mom cooks you your favorite dish, but that doesn’t really mean you’ve struck a gold mine, right? Get my point now?

feizal – Bring it on bro! Happy new year to you too, and welcome to Penang.

4. cLiu says:

after reading ur post, i was thinking shall i sum up my 2008 in my blog as u did too?
    but…wat i have done for the past 365 days is a tough question for me.

5. your entry(this) makes me want to wrap up too… hope 2009 will be better…

6. frankie says:

Have a great year end holiday mike, don’t count on January and February, slow moving months, if you take away Sat & Sun in January, we have only 15 working days to cover 31 days of expenses. For self employed, such situation very difficult to think about keeping afloat, let alone growth.

7. Raymond says:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance to you and your family, Michael. Hope 2009 will be a greater year and I’ll definitely miss your entries until next year. Cheers.

8. Jimmy Foo says:

Ahhh…2008 is drawing to a close. It had been quite a few ups and downs for me too. To draw parallelism with football, I guess at the end of the day, we will have to be satisfied with a nil – nil draw. Here’s hoping there are no nasty suprises during injury time!!

Have a merry christmas and a Happy new year! Cheers!

9. Seremban engineer says:

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year. !!!!!

10. bongkersz says:

“There have been whispers and rumors, that Company X is soon going to be bought over by some Taiwanese firm, and we’re all going to be turned into their sex slaves”

I am sure you will adapt easily and climb up the hierarchy fast if that happens in the future :P

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Looking forward to read more of michaelooi.net next year :)

11. jusoh says:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to uncle ooi!

I can’t wait for 2008 to end… what a fucking lame year…

13. sweewon says:

Whoa snowing! I thought it’s some worm tim… -_-”

Anyway, Merry Christmas. and Happy New Year.
    May you and your family be blessed with great health and happiness.

14. Kevin says:

Merry Christmas :)

PS : Cool snow effect

15. Shar says:

Merry Christmas and Have a Great New Year ahead!

16. Lisa Lee says:

Happy New Year Mikey, to you and your family!!! Best Wishes :)

17. Primrose says:

Bought over? Wow, that’s some news. It’s going to be low profile in 2009. Nonetheless, have a Happy New Year…

18. shun2u says:

hi, michael ooi, first of all i would like to greet u hapi new year!
    First time i cm here. I tried to click every posts, but couldnt even find a pic in your blog. Y??
    y dont u post some pics in your blog?

But anyway, i dint mean to force u to post some pics in your blog. Just curious.

And i enjoyed reading your blog. thanks.