December 27, 2006

2006 roll up

The previous 3 years had been quite tragic for me, for I had to contend with death after death in the family. In just that short period of time, I lost all my grandparents, and most of all, my own father. My world tumbled into darkness and the journey seemed to look real lonely ahead.

But in 2006, I found my light and was given a blessing instead. I got Regine. Here she is…

Excuse her drools, she’s just approaching 7 months. I’m sure when she’s old enough, she’s gonna work on her drooling problems and be a much better person than her daddy.

Life with Regine for these 7 months has been the best to date in my life, though the first 5 were quite shitty – having to deal with Emily’s unstable temperament during her pregnancy and the amount of moolahs involved in delivering the baby. But it was all well worth it post second half of the year. The joy that Regine brought to our world sort of eclipsed everything else that sucked and illuminated the way ahead for us.

You know, I used to be indifferent to all those environmental and animal extinction shits around me. I didn’t really care. I was self centered and apathetic. Like, why the fuck should I give a damn? When I fucking die, it will all be gone like a dream. Why fight for a dream that isn’t here to stay for myself?

But Regine changed all that. My priority in life shifted. It’s all for her now. I want her to see how a real tiger or rhino looks like. I want her to see natural waterfalls, douse herself in it and be able to build a real sandcastle on a real beach. Not on some artificial high tech indoor waterpark or something. I want her to see the world at its best and this radically changed my way of doing things on this planet. Like – I swear to god (note: not an implication that I believe in some divine higher being) – that I’m going to spend every ounce of my consciousness to preserve the environment and make this world a less hostile place for my Regine to live in. (no… not like those Steve Irwin craps but, something like – habitual recycling, refrain from eating endangered animals and burp/fart less).

And I’m gonna also focus more in my career to improve the quality of her (and Emily’s) life. In fact, I’ve been working on that since last year, after that round of dramatic self realization on how much of a sleaze I had been (see 2005 roll up). And I did well alright. I earned respects and carved influences. Hell, I couldn’t have made it any better. A testament to that, I was nominated for a promotion by the boss. Though I did not get that promotion (out of sheer bad luck), but at least I don’t feel like an underachiever no more. I now know I’m good and I can smack the motherfucking shit out of all those rookie engineers hands down.

So, it’s all about Regine now. 2007 will be to get her to walk, talk or maybe to perform a cool wheelie on her tricycle. Whatever it is, I hope she’s going to be smarter than her daddy (who is already very smart *wink*) and stay healthy always.

Love to all of you people. Happy New Year and fucking make way please… my kid’s growing up.

michaelooi  | flashbacks  |

20 Comments to “2006 roll up”

1. inevitable says:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

2. Little Ray says:

Happy New Year to you and your family too! I’ve got a good feeling about 2007 not only for myself, but for you too. Call it Little Ray’s instinct ;)

You have a good break too.

3. deriku says:

We’ll be seeing a young lady in no time. And do we dare hope for one as witty and sarcastic as her ol’ dad? ;)

Happy new year!

4. aL says:

haha. a good one there and yea…happy new year =)

5. chrys says:

You are a great person. Happy new year. :)

6. Xiao_zhai says:

Hehe.Someone is becoming more and more fatherly. Lets drink to that…wait a minute. You are supposed to cut down on that too lest she picks it up.

Happy New Year, hope everyday would be a better day for you and your family.

7. Primrose says:

After wishing everybody a Merry Christmas, we’ll have to make way for Happy New Year. And then, chang chang chang comes Gong Hei Fatt Choy. Hmm, Regine sure looks more like … you! *Gasp* Emily!! Do something!!

8. Lame Duck says:

May your daughter grow up into a better world. I shall use less plastics for your sake.

9. titoki says:

Have a happy & prosperous 2007!!! :)

Regine really looks like you. From the same mould liddat. ;p

10. jeez says:

titoki: and how would u know Regine looks like michael leh? hmm..

Btw, Happy New Year Michael! May all the best events happen in 2007!!!

11. Nicely put..it was a very feeling (and somewhat sentimental) post.

Happy holidays and I will write to [Company X CEO] that you deserve a promotion in 2007!

12. sooi2 says:

ooh, so cute and chubby! happy new year and here’s beaming lotsa love 2 u and ur family too…i shall make more donation to WWF for ur sake.

13. eu juan says:

yeah. people changes as they grow up. GOD has plans for us. sometimes in a weird kinda way. glad that lil’Regine made u realize ur priority back. but kinda sucks ur granparent wont b seein ur baby smile

i am a avid reader of ur blog. n this is my 1st comment.

happy new year to u. n lets hope 2007 will bring good fortune n promotion for u =)

14. sniperberry says:

Awww… so cute. More Regine pleaseee. A toast to you, Regine & Emily! Cheers :)

little ray – It’s for me alright. ;)

deriku – Regine happens to have a nonchalant kind of attitude. I don’t know if she’s going to be like me… hmmm…

chrys – Yeah, I know.. ahaks…

xiao_zhai – Biologically, I already am. It’s not hard to convert mentally when you already have the hardware, right? You take care too bro.

primrose / titoki – I’d be fucking worried if she doesn’t look like me… o_O’

Lame Duck – Hey.. nice nick. Yeah, I sure hope she’ll grow round, have some gravity and eventually, her own tectonic plates…

jeez – Maybe that’s because I know her in real life rather than just acquainted in blogosphere? (either that or she’s been stalking my ass)

Rasa Malaysia – You should probably send that guy some of your cincaluk dishes to reinforce your point… ;)

sooi2 – YEAHHHHH LONG LIVE WRESTLING!!!!

eu juan – It kinda sux that my dad don’t get to see Regine. He would be sooo happy…
    Anyway, thanks for the well wishes.

The rest – Happy New Year and please don’t consume sharks fin soup. Leave some sharks for my Regine to see, k?

16. stepheong says:

Yeap… I just hope we will take of mother earth better. Read somewhere that said that Hawkins predicted that the earth will not last more than 100years if we keep on going at this pace. There is also a blog on haze, how this guy wanting to boycott product from our neighbour is the haze doesn’t improve, you can read it here yourself

17. Din says:

Happy new year dude! I wait eagerly for more kick-ass posts!

18. bongkersz says:

let’s have a better year ahead~! yeah, 2007 will be to get regine to type some words in your blog haha~! happy new year 2007!

19. Silencers says:

I suppose you became a ‘shapesifter’ of some sort too, huh Mike? In a good way of course :D

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and rock on!

20. tEo says:

Happy New Year!
    Don’t worry, i’ll go green for the sake of Regine. ;)